Re: VTTC Operation and Filament Warm-up

Original poster: "David Speck by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-davidspeckmd-dot-org>

Ray,

My high school physics teacher (with whom I did a lot of Tesla projects
about 35 years ago) previously worked for Sylvania, making picture tubes.

He said that applying HV before the filaments were fully warmed up would
tend to strip the emissive coating from the filaments, causing internal
shorts in the tube and limiting the life of the tube.  I agree that 833
filaments, being direct heated, would not require a very long preheating
time.  OTOH, some tubes, like my CX1159 thyratron, specify a 10 minute
warm-up before operation.

HTH,
Dave