Re: Moderator note

Hi Ian,

Laser is an acronym because the abbreviation L A S E R forms a common WORD
with a vowel and all that...

WAC, BASIC, SNAFU, are all "words" formed from an abbreviation and in
common use, and thus are acronyms.

USA is not an acronym since it is not a word "uesay".  USSR is not an
acronym either because it is not used as a single "word".  USSR is an
abbreviation (no vowel either).

PDT is pronounced Pee Dee Tee...  Not a word, just saying the letters since
it is an abbreviation.  If it were an acronym, it would have to have a
vowel and be pronounced 'pedt' or something like that as a common word is,
not just the letters...

If it is still not clear, you'll have to have Ralph explain it, as he has
to me so many times :o)))  Since this has come up so often over the years
on the Tesla list, maybe it should be on topic :-D

Cheers,

         Terry