Re: Finished with Isolation Transformer.

Original poster: "Richard W. by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <potluck-at-xmission-dot-com>

Hi Godfrey,
It's made from one inch thick cast acrylic from McMaster-Carr  #8560K701. It
wasn't cheap. 20 bucks per side. I purchased them one at a time over a
period of a few months during the actual transformer construction to help
relieve the pain. I wanted it to be clear and tough.

First I drilled a .213" hole through the mating sides using a drill guide.
The inside piece got threaded for 1/4" 16 tpi. The hole on the other piece
was widened to .270". After that a countersink was made with a 3/8" bit so
the heads of the cap screws (hex bolts) were flush to the surface. I used
aquarium silicone to seal it all. It's flexible and won't crack or leak
during heat changes, age or sudden impacts. Amazingly , the thick cast
acrylic was rather easy to work with but care must be taken to prevent heat
buildup while drilling and cutting which will deform the holes and edges.

After the transformer was impregnated with baking varnish, V1380 from
"Viking Products", and baked it was placed into the container. After sealing
the top the same way I then sucked a 3/4" layer of casting resin into the
bottom to help hold the transformer in place. Did that to the top too to
lower the oil level below a one inch sealed square tube used as an
"expansion chamber" mounted at the top of the tank.

Rick W
Salt Lake