Re: Finished with Isolation Transformer.

Original poster: "Richard W. by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <potluck-at-xmission-dot-com>

Hi Steve,
That idea could work. You'll need a lot of room in the core window for the
insulation needed between secondaries, the more secondaries the more
insulation and less room for wire. Also, to be able to wire the secondaries
in series you'll also need to insulate them from the core they're wound on.
The total voltage may be a lot lower than expected due to the insulation
taking up room necessary for wire.

Unless there is a lot of room in the core window I'd try to stay away from E
and I laminations salvaged from LV high current transformers for homebrew HV
transformers because the core windows are usually too small for HV
applications. Stuffing enough insulation into the pack doesn't leave much
room for wire therefore the output voltage/current may not even come close
to the desired spec making the end product not worth the work involved. And
believe me, it's a LOT of work. And try to leave at least 10 to 15% margin
for room in the window. Winding wire and packing insulation rarely comes out
exactly as it was drawn on paper.

One observation I made that many here probably already know is that a well
designed transformer whose primary and secondary VA are equal will result in
the same weight of wire. If you use 8 pounds of one gauge to wind a primary
then to get the secondary to match VA it will also require 8 pounds of wire
of the gauge necessary to carry the desired current. An imbalance of primary
to secondary VA is simply wasted wire, work and output.

Rick W.
SLC