Re: So others don't lose like I did

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <FutureT-at-aol-dot-com>

tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>Original poster: "garryfre by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><garryfre-at-pacbell-dot-net>
>
>Recently, I read that 833A and 833C tubes were interchangeable.
>
>It appears this isn't quite so because the spacing for the bottom two
>terminals are slightly wider, just enough to crack the glass if you attempt
>to insert it into a home made socket that accepts an 833A easily even if
>you are careful not to force it. Just a tiny bit of pressure and it started
>to slide down rapidly then broke half way down.
>
>Slightly poorer, and wiser, at least I can warn others from having a
>similar experience.

Garry,

Sorry to hear of that misfortune.  It's not that the 833A and the 833C
that differ in pin spacing, rather the pin spacing can vary even
between different 833A's and between different 833C's.  It's just
manufacturer's tolerances that you're seeing here.  BTW, a
homemade socket should never be made so rigid, that it cannot
allow some flexing for tube warm-up, or for different tubes to be
installed.  There was a posting recently that addressed this
issue in more detail.  Also, sometimes the pins are not exactly
parallel.  This too can cause problems if the socket cannot flex.

John