Re: Need a fire extinguisher

Original poster: "David Speck by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-davidspeckmd-dot-org>

Rick
If you can still find them, Halon 1211 extinguishers are the very best,
though they are no longer available commercially, as the gas damages the
ozone layer.  Still, I see them turn up at hamfests occasionally, and grab
them whenever I see them.  The gas is non-toxic and not damaging to
electronics.  I remember a demonstration 30 years ago at a big electronics
show where the demonstrators were inside a 12 x 12 foot plexiglas room
filled with the stuff, trying to get lighters to burn tissue paper -- the
paper just fizzled out.

CO2 extinguishers are probably second best, cheap, electrically safe, and
readily available, though they won't extinguish burning magnesium,
(probably unlikely in most TC environments.) The cold discharge may
thermally damage hot components, but that is probably among the least of
your concerns if the house is burning down.
Dave.