Re: 400kV Marx Generator Pictures

Original poster: "Eddie Burwell by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <eburwell-at-columbus.rr-dot-com>

At 11:09 PM 5/5/03 -0600, you wrote:
 >Original poster: "Crow Leader by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<tesla-at-lists.symmetric-dot-net>

 >>Original poster: "Terry Fritz" <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>
 >>Firstly, thanks all for your great help.  I'm just about finished my 400kV
 >>Marx Generator and once I build my charging supply, will be able to run it.
 >>The device is a bit crude (non-triggered primary gap, lossy - corona prone
 >>connections), but will serve as a first step in developing working knowledge
 >>of these
 >>things as my primary purpose will be to design and build one capable of
 >>producing a extremely short duration (<1ns) pulses at maybe a million volts
 >
 >hmm. not sure if you will get less than 1ns discharges with those caps. It
 >migth be possible with some small mica caps.
 >Does anybody have info on the slew rate you can get with some of these
 >caps? I know the manufacturer tends to specify "safe" ratings in dv/dt
 >usually in kV/uS, still not near anything near 1nS, even with some sort of
 >pulse forming network
 >KEN

  I would think the wiring inductance will be prohibitve as well. For a
Z-pinch experiment I recall they used coaxial water line cap charged by a
marx bank. The cap was essentialy a copper pipe within a pipe with
de-ionized water between them.   Low inductance, high capacitance. I think
the water line cap was switched by a SF6 spark gap, but my memory is a bit
hazy on this though.

Eddie Burwell