Re: Suggestion on Power Supply?

Original poster: "Jeremy Scott by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <supertux1-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi,

I'll take it from your email address that
you're using 50Hz, so your AC half-cycle
length is 5ms. And at 200bps, your capacitor
would have to charge and be discharged at
least twice within that 5ms. That is,
you need to charge and discharge in 2.5ms.

I'm assuming your power supply is rated 10KV,
but I'm not sure of the amperage, but I can
tell you what it has to be to accomplish
the above:

Charge Time = Z * Cp * 5

Z = V / I

.0025s = (10,000V / I) * .00000003F * 5

Solve for I: I = 600mA

10,000V * .6A = 6KVA

Energy = 0.5 x C x Vē
        = 0.5 x .00000003 x 10,000^2

Energy = 1.5J

Now, you'll notice I left out * BPS out of that
formula because I don't think this is an entirely
accurate way to measure the output 'power' of a
coil. (It is theoretically, but misleading
because we like to measure things 'per bang',
not usually per second.)

The problem is when you multiply it by BPS,
what you are getting is an average output over
the course of one second. If you've ever seen
a waveform of the voltage off a secondary's toroid,
you'll see that it's not continuous over a full
second,
rather it's only for a few hundred microseconds during
every AC cycle. (Check out Terry's pspice model of a
coil.)

So we have this figure, 1.5J which is the amount of
energy stored in your capacitor. If we multiply
it by BPS, we get the average power over one second,
which is of course VERY low due to the minimal duty
cycle of the tank circuit. (Charge for a relatively
long time, discharge fast, charge some more etc...)

1.5J * 200BPS = 300W

Not very useful... good if you want to know how
much it costs to run your coil for an hour :)

But the instantaneous 'bang' power is what we're
interested in, and for that we need to divide the
stored energy in the capacitor by the time it takes to
discharge it:

Power = Energy / Time

Power = 1.5J / t

Power = depends on t.

If you make t smaller, power per bang goes up.
There is really only one way to make t smaller
and that's to lower the resistance of the primary
tank circuit. Big conductors and properly quenched
spark gaps are how we do this. Higher voltage also
facilitates the quick discharge, so not only is
it an important factor in the amount of energy stored
in the capacitor, but it is also a factor in quick
discharge. (That is, it pushes more amps)