RE: Streamer Voltage

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

In the Tesla Coil Construction Guide there is a graph that shows Secondary
Voltage vs Spark Length for classical Tesla coils. This graph has proven for
several years to be reasonably accurate when the spark is a controlled
spark. For example for an 18 inch controlled spark the voltage would be
about 500 Kvolts.

It should be noticed that using input wattage to find the spark length does
not work. It is a well known fact that every TC has a maximum input wattage
where increasing the wattage does not increase the spark length. In other
words when increasing the input wattage to the TC a point is reached where
the increment of input wattage equals the increment of loss and the spark
length does not increase.

It is obvious that the TC Secondary Voltage is a function of the design and
other TC variables. Because of these limitations any TC secondary voltage
equation would have to be for only a certain TC design and size. The graph
in the TCC Guide was originally made for a computer program that also
recommended a design and size of classical Tesla coil when a certain
secondary voltage was desired.

John Couture