Re: Tuning troubles

Hi Robert,

At 12:26 AM 5/8/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>I am a new coiler and recently constructed a fair-sized TC. Today I turned it
>on with a variac at 30% power. Although the spark gap was firing there were
>no streamers, and I decided to stop at this point.

A good time to stop and ask :-))

>   I have two
>questions ; should I turn the voltage up and hope for results, and what are
>the variables that I should tinker with in the tuning process.

As long as the gap is firing.  I would hook a sharp pointed bit of wire to
the toroid.  that will form little streamers very easily.  Then you can
fiddle with the primary tap point to get the best spark output.  Once you
find the best primary tap point, you can crank it up and all should go very
well!

If the coil is really out of tune, you may get sparks from the primary to
secondary or sparks along the bottom of the secondary.  Try to avoid doing
that a lot since it could burn the coil, but once it is in tune, that
should go away.

>  Also, what
>should I look for as far as the output of the coil. ( In terms of tuning
>effect.)

Longest streamers or biggest output sparks for a given variac setting.  As
you search around for a primary tap point,  The best spot should be clear.

Cheers,

         Terry