Re: Toroid to primary arcing

Original poster: "Jeremy Scott by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <supertux1-at-yahoo-dot-com>

There are usually two ways to keep this from
happening, a) install a strike rail, and b)
raise the toroid.

Okay, a) isn't really a solution but it does
make coils that have short secondaries a little
safer, but there is no guarantee that streamers
headed for the primary will always hit the rail.
You may also change your design such that the
primary doesn't extend out beyond the diameter of
the toroid. (If you have extra unused turns,
remove them.)

If you take the option of raising the toroid, you
may see some corona leakage from the top winding
on the secondary. This is wasted energy that should
be pumped into the toroid, you can fix it by placing
a small corona ring around the last winding. However,
this will change the top load capacitance and you will
have to retune the coil.

IMHO, if you're selling coils to anyone who wants one,
be sure to include at least a strike rail.