RE: Mini Transformers - Any good for Tesla use?

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-hp-dot-com>

One thing to beware of when using bug zapper transformers - they sometimes
have a ceramic cap wired across the secondary coil, and embedded within the
secondary potting compound.  This serves to render a bigger zap to the
bugs, but is bad for TC use.  Sometimes the potting compound is clear and
the cap is visible within it, so some drill-surgery might be able to sever
one of the connections.  But I've personally not tried this.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

I looked inside a bug zapper once. It contained a
shunted, core & coil type transformer a little smaller
than a deck of playing cards. It was rated 4kvac at
(?) I forget how many ma--10 or 20 perhaps? Anyhow, a
pair of these in series and appropriately phased would
give you 8kvac, with no solid state electronics
required. New bug zappers can be had for as little as
$15 at Wal-Mart. Used ones are free at the landfill
and nearly free at yard sales.