Re: Ryobi Bench Top Grinder ??

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <FutureT-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 5/19/03 10:15:28 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>   I want to build a new Spark Gap, I have been considering a
>Synchronous Spark Gap.  I was looking for a cheap motor when I thought of
>Bench Top grinders.  Home Depot sells a cheap $40 Ryobi 6" grinder that
>claims to run at 3600 RPM, here is a link.
>http://www.ryobitools-dot-com/product/product.asp?prodid=136&prodcat=4&toolcat=3
>Does it seem odd that the grinder motor runs at 3600 RPM?

Ryan,

The motor is probably 3450 rpm not 3600 rpm.  You'll most likely need
to grind two flats on the motor armature to make it sync and obtain
3600 rpm.

Lexan is OK, but it has a low melting point.  I've used it, but I'm careful
to make sure the electrodes don't get too hot.  G10 is the material of
choice for rotors.

Using two spinning discs won't help all that much for the quenching,
and it's unlikely you'd see any benefit in the operation of the coil.

John