Re: Does anyone want an OLTC Driver board

Original poster: "Stephen Conner by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <steve-at-scopeboy-dot-com>

At 11:43 19/05/03 -0600, you wrote:

>That sounds cool! Will it drive big IGBT bricks (like
>this one:
>
>http://hot-streamer-dot-com/lulabs/images/big_igbt.jpg

The circuit I intend to use has been tested with one of my 600A bricks and
drives it with ease. See http://www.scopeboy-dot-com/tesla/t4bricktest.html
for details. It's the same pulse generator circuit that I used in the mini
OLTC (with the soft turn-off) but with a much burlier driver stage stuck
onto the end. I will be doing a couple of matrix-board prototypes first,
they are going to people that I think will give them a good testing ;) and
if that goes OK I'll organise the boards.

>How big choke?

I've used 3H and 6mH chokes... Anything inbetween ought to work. For a
brick based OLTC you probably want a pretty small inductance, so nearer the
6mH end :)

Steve C.