Re: New Neon Transformers

Original poster: "Jeremy Scott by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <supertux1-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi Robert,

I was originally going to buy two of those, but I
decided against it for a number of reasons. I read the
specifications on the GFCI in these things and
concluded that one side of a 3 ball safety gap
firing would undoubtedly trip the things. (A voltage
imbalance between one of the secondary windings and
ground.) If you don't connect anything to the NST's
center tap (secondary 'ground 0V') then it wouldn't
matter. I can't know this for sure, but I wasn't going
to spend $400+ on two NST's to find out. Try Terry's
filter with the secondary ground as the middle ball
in the safety gap and without and let us know which
works best. The other reason I decided against it is
that 120mA (1.8KVA) wasn't going to be enough current
to charge the cap in the coil I am constucting! :)

I have since bought a Potential Transformer
(1.5-3.5KVA) and will soon be making a trip up to the
Doc's for a pole pig :) (5KVA++)

Oh BTW: You're probably going to want a couple of PFC
capacitors since NST's aren't very 'efficient' (low
power factor) Motor caps work good. Avoid motor
'start' capacitors and look for the 'run' type
instead.

Here's a link. They're not cheap, but you only
need a few:

http://cgi.ebay-dot-com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2532103678&category=4662