Re: Tuning Troubles

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

At 11:02 PM 25/05/03 -0600, you wrote:
 >Original poster: "WIZZARD . by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<pbobyk-at-hotmail-dot-com>

 >I get 24" sparks to a sharpened ground rod horizontal to the torid.
 >I am sure that I can do better with the components I am using, I am just at
 >a standstill and could use your input.
 >Any Suggestions?

<BIG SNIP>

Hi Wizzard, Coilers,

A nice looking coil you've built!!  The only week point that I see is
your spark gap.  You may be having a quenching problem which will not
let your coil develope its full potential (pun intended).

Take a look at my web site and see my hyperbaric gap which has proven
itself to be a great performer.  Here's the description for it:

	          HYPERBARIC GAP ADJUSTMENT AND DETAILS
		  =====================================

	The "Hyperbaric Gap" is a pressurised, air blast quenched,
	static gap.  The gap chamber consists of a PVC electrical
	"T" fitting which has threaded adapter bushings installed
	on the two ends.  The bushings hold brass 3/4" threaded
	to 1/2" soldered adaptors, which in turn hold the type M
	copper pipe electrodes.  Preasurised air is blown in via
	the third, side, port to raise the chamber pressure and
	to provide cooling to the two electrodes as it flows out
	of the chamber through the hollow electrodes.

	The electrodes are aligned and held at the correct gapping
	by 3 set screws threaded into tapped holes spaced equally
	around the circumference of the brass adaptors.  The ends
	of the electrodes within the gap are filed flat and square
	to the length of the pipe sections.  Spacing of the gap is
	set by using a drill bit as a feeler gauge, access being
	through the removeable cover of the "T" fitting.  Two 1/4"
	brass bolts soldered to the brass adaptors provide for the
	connections to the rest of the primary circuit.

	Air is provided by the compressor assembly from a vaccuum
	cleaner which is powered via a variac allowing control of
	the volume of air.  The amount of air required for proper
	quenching depends on the power level of the coil, and can
	be adjusted to optimise the streamer length while running.

	Details of the gap can be seen on my website located at:

	http://www.hurontel.on.ca/~weazle

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

"Don't take life so seriously, nobody has survived it yet!"

Listening: 7,055, 147.030+, and 442.075+
http://www.hurontel.on.ca/~weazle