Re: MOT-powered coil questions

Hi,

I built one once.  The disk was just plastic and the arc sliced its vanes
right off.  The arc is like 10000 degrees and is actually hot enough to
burn through any known substance...  I think carbon has the highest melting
point but it is no match for a high powered electrical arc.

Another problem is that the quench would have to occur in say +-50
millionths of a second.  For a 3600 RPM motor, that is only 1.08 degrees of
revolution in that time.  So the disk actually turns far too slow to affect
quenching.

It was in "interesting" gap but it never was of much use.

Cheers,

         Terry