Re: triplets?

Original poster: Chris Roberts <quezacotl_14000000000000-at-yahoo-dot-com>

 From what I know about twin systems, it's that the primaries are hooked up
in series with the innermost turns hooked together, making them 180 degrees
out of phase. What you would do (mabye) with a triplet system would to hook
them all in series and in a straight line, with the outer ones connected in
the same way, making them in phase. The middle one would be hooked up to
make it 180 degrees out of phase with the outer ones, making it arc to the
outer ones. This may be right or wrong, seeing as I've never done a twin
system before.
The easiest way to do it would be to make a normal twin system, then put a
realistic looking secondary, primary, and topload in the center, with fake
wires hooked up to nothing in the control box. The two on the outside would
just follow the path, but would look like the real thing to all of the
tesla list people, and nobody's the wiser. =D

Original poster: "Jim Lux"

I've given quite a bit of thought to this problem...

Certainly, for the SSTC type drivers or VTTC coils, which are basically
power oscillators or amplifiers, it would be trivial.

For a spark gap coil, though, it would be a bit trickier. I suspect that
one could find some interesting arrangement of Primary L and Primary C and
interconnections (possibly with two primary windings on each coil?) that
could be adjusted to produce 120 degree phase shift around the ring. One
would have to deal with the significant change in load impedance when
streamers develop, especially asymmetrically (or, maybe not... most spark
TCs are fairly loosely coupled, so the primary might dominate).

Transmission lines would have to be impractically long. I think you'd want
some sort of adjustable L or C! in the primary tank.

You also have the question of using one or three spark gaps, and whether DC
operation might useful.

Another idea I had was to use triggered spark gaps, and very carefully
control the timing among the three gaps (to fractions of a microsecond,
probably.