Re: Ground rod Connection Point

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

At 10:07 PM 01/11/03 -0700, you wrote:

 >Original poster: "Jeremy Gassmann" <gmann-at-fuse-dot-net>
 >
 >Hi group,
 >
 >Just had a quick question regarding the connection point of the bottom of
 >the secondary to the ground rod.  My system is a 1.8 kVA conventional TC.
 >My question is: can I tap a hole in the center of a copper clad ground
 >rod or should I somehow press a ground strap against the ground rod?

<SNIP>

Hi Jeremy, Coilers,

You could go to an electrical supply house or just a regular electrician
and buy the proper connector for this job.  They are made of brass and
clamp the ground wire against the side of the ground rod.  You'll pay
between $5 to $10 for it (devalued Canadian $).

The same thing can be done with a much cheaper stainless steel hose clamp
and you'll not notice any difference.  It's a good idea to fold the end
of the bare ground wire back on itself, then clamp it to the rod, as it
will tend to stay in place better while tightening the clamp, plus you
get more surface area of the wire in contact with the rod.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

Details of my "Hyperbaric Gap" and Tesla coil are at:
http://www.hurontel.on.ca/~weazle