Re: Another MMC question...

Hi,

MMC caps need to have high RMS current capacity.  Very high dV/dT. Strong
end cap construction, super low loss, self healing...  Only the very best
polypropylene caps will do all this.  There are many polypropylene caps
that do not have all these features to make them cheaper.  Good MMC caps
are the most expensive and best of the bread of polypropylene caps.

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MMCInfo/good-bad.txt

http://www.cde-dot-com/film/9422000.htm

The favorite CD 942C series 2000V  0.15uF caps have an RMS rating current
of 13.5 Arms, a peak current of 432 amps, and a dV/dT of 2879 V/uS.

Those high numbers are critical for MMC caps.  I always get worried when
someone uses some different cap since we have no idea if they are going to
work or not without spending a lot of time checking data sheets.  Only
about 5% of the polypropylene caps available will work.

See if you can find some of the known good caps from the list above or make
arrangements to get them sent over to you if you can't get them locally.

Cheers,

         Terry