RE: True Toroid Capacitance

Original poster: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

Malcolm -

I agree that using a fixed percentage of toroid reduction does not appear to
be realistic. The wide range of true toroid capacities for the same toroid
requires testing each TC for the resonant frequency after it is built. This
resonant frequency will give you the true toroid capacitance in the JHCTES
Ver 3.42 TC program and will always be less than the theoretical
capacitance. The accuracy of the toroid capacitance will depend only on how
well you do the test and enter the inputs, no assumptions will have to be
made.

Your experiment with the 8" major dia toroid is the perfect demonstration to
show the dramatic behavior of the toroid capacitance when in the real world
of Tesla coils. As you indicate the  capacitance was less than one pf when
placed on the 17" coil. This indicated a very large capacitance reduction of
about 90% from the theoretical capacitance! In the test where this 8" toroid
was placed on the 2" coil and showed a significant difference (larger
capacitance?) this would indicate a very small reduction from the
theoretical capacitance. It is obvious that the same toroid can have a wide
range of capacitance reduction from the theoretical capacitance. In your
tests the range was about 10% to 90% toroid capacitance reduction!

The es fields around the TC, toroid, and including surrounding effects are
very complicated and to make calculations work assumptions have to be made.
However, the accuracies using these calculations in programs appear to be
acceptable. Because the frequency test takes everything into consideration
it can then be used to verify the accuracy of the programs after the TC is
built.

Using the resonant frequency test to verify the true toroid capacitance
reduction is relatively new and there is very little  data available to
compare the TC computer programs with the results of the tests. Hopefully
more coilers will make these tests in the near future.

John Couture