Re: HV Cables

For NST powered coils use silicone GTO wire (neon sign wire).

For pole and PT powered coils use our "big red" HV cable.  It's rated 125 kV
BIL and it's 1 inch in diameter.

Coax cable with the shield retained is terrible for pole xmfrs.  It's small
capacitance will resonante at 60 Hz with the inductance in most pole xmfrs
and create 100 to 150 kV on the line (blumline effect).  I've seen it
actually flash across a pole xmfrs long bushing.  Very bad idea.  It's ok
with the shield removed but never use it as full coax on a pole xmfr.

Dr. Resonance

Resonance Research Corporation
E11870 Shadylane Rd.
Baraboo   WI   53913