Re: An SSTC simulation

Original poster: Kchdlh-at-aol-dot-com

1.  The C8 voltage is 90 deg. out of phase with respect to the secondary
voltage.  C8 is, of course, the resonating capacitor rather than the
energy-storage capacitor; those are C4 & C7.

2.  The frequency is determined by my already-constructed secondary.  The
coupling coefficient I just picked out of the air; I can change it at will
in the simulation.

3.  If I actually get to building this I'll probably use IGBTs.  Partly so
I won't have to bother with Shottkys in series.

4.  The storage capacitors are the key to success: not too many (if any!)
will be expected to stand prolonged full-charge/full discharge at
60/second.  I've queried Electrocube about their motor-run capacitors but
no response yet.

In addition to repeating my comment that one would not need EX-OR U1, I'll
mention here that a mains-zero-crossing gate circuit should be added.  With
too much gain in E1, I found that oscillation tends to prolong so that
deleterious recharging of C4 or C7 will occur during the following 1/2
mains cycle.  You want to cut that off at 1-2 ms.  I've used another EX-OR
as a conventional pulse-generator running off the voltage across D5 and
operating a clamp-to-ground across D6/D7.

I'll mention something else:  I now more fully realize that in any "totem
pole" power-transistor scheme using like-transistors (both N or both P),
and where you want to do as Terry Fritz has suggested in using multiple
resonating capacitors for paralleling the "totem poles", you have a problem
with driving all the "top" transistors--the ones with floating
sources.  Each has to be driven separately.  So...in my scheme, I'll have
to have 6 of the dual driver/crossover control circuits.  A bit of a
vexation but it can't be helped.

Ken Herrick