Re: Magnifer vs. Tesla Coil

Original poster: dgoodfellow-at-highstream-dot-net

Richard Hull stated that magnifiers have obvious advantages over the
conventional Tesla coil. Indeed, his magnifier impressed us all with its
efficiency. I was there and video taped it in action. 11 feet of spark from
5 kw (or was it kva?) input power.  John Freau made a claim once (if I am
not mistaken) that he has never seen a magnifier out perform a conventional
Tesla coil watt for watt. At first, I thought that this couldn't be, since
this magnifier that Richard Hull put together just had to be the most
efficient thing out there.  Then one day, while looking at Bill Wysock's
website, http://www.ttr-dot-com/model9_page2.htm he has images of the super
model nine coil producing 17 feet of spark at a stated 5kva input. So is the
magnifier more efficient than a conventional coil? Yes, you can get many
times the secondary length in spark output that would not be possible with a
conventional coil. It will be interesting to see where the magnifiers go to
with renewed interest, and new heads and hands pushing the designs further
on.
     I think that Richard said that the primary and the capacitor should
resonate at 1/8 wave of the secondary coil. That's where voltage and current
are both at 70% of their maximum. This could be thought of as a signal
generator to base feed the third coil, which should have a huge topload on
it. If I remember correctly, the frequency off the top of the secondary
should be the 1/4 wave frequency that the third coil resonates at.
The 1/8 wave configuration makes sense to me because otherwise it would be
difficult to manage all the corona if it were set to run at 1/4 wave.
Richard even stated that you could build the coil to run at 1/16 wave, where
the voltage gain would not be great but the current from the secondary would
be terrific. Again, if this frequency is fed to the base of the third coil
and it is 1/4 the wavelength of that third coil, it is supposed to work.
I have not built one as of yet. What do the other maggie builders think?

Dave G.