RE: New "MOT" power supplies??

Original poster: Gregory Hunter <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

 >  >	I can't imagine those things being useful for TC
 > work, at least not for
 >  > primary capacitor charging.  Maybe the rectified
 > output would be OK for
 >  > a DC coil.  I suspect also that the line
 > isolation isn't good enough to
 >  > allow stacking those things in series.
 >  > Ed
 >
 > 	I dunno. From the pictures, it looks like the
 > transformer has so few turns
 > as to be easy to rewind for 2X or 4X the original
 > voltage. At that point you
 > have an EXCELLENT supply for a DC coil. Plus, a
 > little back engineering may
 > show an easy way to increase the power. Add a little
 > oil bath for the whole
 > thing...
 > db

  I agree. Most of us avoid experimenting with big
solid state power HV supplies because big ferrite
cores are rare and expensive. Cheap microwave ovens
may reverse that, to where we have a ready supply of
cheap (or free) kilowatt-class ferrite cores from dead
ovens.

=====
Gregory R. Hunter

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg