Re:

Original poster: BunnyKiller <bunikllr-at-bellsouth-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: "Chris the great" <downnessisgoingup-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>I have done some work on my coil since I have last posted, and I have
>found my problem.  I think my tank cap is WAY to small for my MOT power
>source, which will soon be a 4 MOT stack.  I have calculated (from
>http://home.earthlink-dot-net/~electronxlc/tccalc.html) that my tank capacitor
>should be 200nF at 8kV, 650mA, not 13nF.
>I would like to make sure that this is indeed a good tank cap size, so I
>don't go and make a huge poly capacitor for nothing (actually 3 in
>parallel).  Or would another type of capacitor be easier to
>transport/make, or cheaper, or better?

Hey Chris...

I was looking at the pictures you had posted and noticed your spark gap
...   it looks as if you have ( in the picture anyway) the gap setting way
too tight. Open the gap setting to about 3/8"  for 11KV. the tighter the
setting ( smaller) the less voltage is required to jump the gap resulting
in shorter streamers. Be advised tho...  this gap spacing trick isnt the
means to get longer streamers beyond what your system is designed for.
There is a limit as to how far a gap can be opened before it will either A.
blow your caps, B. not work due to the gap being too far apart.
Scot D