Re:

Original poster: Bart Anderson <classi6-at-classictesla-dot-com>

Hi Chris,

I know your running a lower voltage, and can allow the use of a larger cap
size, but the coil length to spark length needs to be considered. 200nF
will certainly burn up the coil. The coil is only 22 inch in length. If I
were you, I would shoot for a target of a random sparklength at about twice
the coil length. Lets say you want roughly twice that length (approx 50").
I would then recommend something hovering around 20nF, which isn't far off
of your original cap size. In fact, you may want to try this with your
original cap before going onto a larger cap. I also recommend the use of a
variac to control the input voltage to the MOT stack so that "you" have
physical control of the MOT's output voltage and can ramp up as needed.
You'll probably find the length you desire at about half the input voltage.

Take care,
Bart