Re: New tesla builder in need of some assistance

Hi Dan,

At 02:15 PM 11/21/2003, you wrote:
>        Hey everyone, first time building a tesla coil, dont really have a
> reason besides that i enjoy building stuff.

Most don't try to find a "reason" ;-))

>Well anyway, i'm 15, taking an electronics class, so i got the basics of
>electronics and i've done a buncha researching on electrical components
>and tesla coils, but i dont know everything so pardon my ignorance if i
>have no idea what some of you are talking about. I have plans for a tesla
>and i was just wondering if there was some alternatives that you all could
>suggest for me. the tesla uses a 6KV/.02A transformer, a .005m/20k special
>high Q capacitor (which i was planning on using a MMC setup if possible)
>and some odd tungsten spark gap. The spark gap was the main thing i was
>wondering about though, i'm not quite sure where i can get pure tungsten
>rods and brass spheres, does any of you know of another spark gap i could use?

1/8 inch tungsten rods are at the welding supply shop. "TIG welding
rods".  You want the "green" rods when they ask.  They are about $5 for a 7
inch rod.  You can use a file to score and snap them into smaller
rods.  Hardware stores sell solid brass drawer pulls.  About $4 each.

>  thanks and which ever else suggestions i'd be glad to hear them, and i
> have read the safety sheet, although my parents havent, but they know
> that i'm building it, and for once, trust me. thanks again for the time
> and help!

You may want to check out safety gaps so you don't blow up the transformer too!

Cheers,

         Terry