Re: New tesla builder in need of some assistance

Original poster: Mark Broker <mbroker-at-thegeekgroup-dot-org>

That's sort of how I got started: needed a project, a TC sounded good....

The RQ/TCBOR gap is well-regarded if not a little difficult to construct
well.  Some 1/2" copper pipes about 2" long side by side will work
wonderfully, too.  In fact, given your power supply, I would recommend the
latter instead of anything terribly fancy.

Ditto Terry on the safety gap :)  Remember to set it PROPERLY before each
run to prevent NST damage.

Cheers!

Mark Broker
Chief Engineer, The Geek Group

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 15:40:49 -0700, Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> wrote:

>Original poster: Bob81818-at-aol-dot-com         Hey everyone, first time
>building a tesla coil, dont really have a reason besides that i enjoy
>building stuff. Well anyway, i'm 15, taking an electronics class, so i got
>the basics of electronics and i've done a buncha researching on electrical
>components and tesla coils, but i dont know everything so pardon my
>ignorance if i have no idea what some of you are talking about. I have
>plans for a tesla and i was just wondering if there was some alternatives
>that you all could suggest for me. the tesla uses a 6KV/.02A transformer,
>a .005m/20k special high Q capacitor (which i was planning on using a MMC
>setup if possible) and some odd tungsten spark gap. The spark gap was the
>main thing i was wondering about though, i'm not quite sure where i can
>get pure tungsten rods and brass spheres, does any of you know of another
>spark gap i could use? thanks and which ever else suggestions i'd be glad
>to hear them, and i have read the safety shee!
t,