RE: 5MV pressurised oil immersed bipolar tesla coil by Breit 1930

Original poster: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

Malcolm -

The description of this Tesla coil circuit states that the operating voltage
is 750 KV and the resonant frequency is 130 Kc/S. I believe this means that
V2 = 750 KV and that C2, G, amd I are operating in parallel at 750 KV. For
capacitor (C2) to be 750 KV would indicate that it must represent the self
capacity of the coil (L2). The Gap (G)is a typical sphere type voltage
measuring gap and the device labeled (I) could be a receptacle for the
object to be tested such as an insulator, etc. The total capacitance of C2,
G, and I in parallel with the inductance L2 would form a tank circuit. The
resonant operating frequency of this tank circuit would be 130 Kc/s. Given
the inductance of L2 you could easily calculate the the total capacitance of
the secondary system.

The output voltage V2 could be easily varied by varying the voltage of the
primary circuit. I do not understand why a voltage divider would be needed.
Could you give more information on this feature?

John Couture