RE: MMC advice

Original poster: "Mudford, Chris" <chris.mudford-at-agresearch.co.nz>

Hi Malcolm,
	Total value of the MMC is 14.7 nF made up of 4 strings of 6
individual arcotronics 0.022 uF 1500 V (RS 114-468).  By calculation the
primary inductance is ~58 uH where I'm tapping at for my new secondary.

When I'm here, after replacing the blown cap, I set my main gap to 2.2
mm (single static gap, fan forced) and initially set my safety gaps such
as it was just firing at 105% mains input. I had also reconnected the
mains earth to the transformer as the ground electrode of my safety gap
is connected to here also.  When I started up and ramped up the variac I
was getting about 2" from a break out point at 30% on variac, but, the
safeties were going constantly so I opened them up and tried again.  I
tried to get a "finer" tune but it didn't seem to matter + or - half a
turn.  So I set up an object and pulled up the power, but the MMC was
getting warm, and suddenly crack, pop smoke flames etc.

I get the feeling my MMC is just too close to the limit and previous
damage has meant that caps are weakened and with the new secondary they
are just failing.  But, just before it failed I was getting 15" to the
steel end of a fluorecent tube (not grounded).

Cheers, Chris (NZ).