Re: Superconducting tesla coil...

Original poster: The MCP <ejkeever-at-comcast-dot-net>

YBCO and BSCCO superconductors both work at liquid nitrogen temperatures.

The research team at this link
http://www.et.anl.gov/sections/ceramics/research/superconductor.html has been
working with YBCO superconductors that, at liquid nitrogen temperature, can
carry up to 600 amps per square millimeter. I seriously doubt that any tesla
coil generates anything even remotely approaching that amperage. But you
never know...

At any rate, I was thinking more about using super-fine gauge wire on a
gigantic form, putting tens of thousands of turns on it with no resistance to
reduce voltage gain, that using a normal number of turns and counting solely
on the zero resistance. Plus, might all the self-capacitance with no
resistance stopping it up reduce the need for a topload?