Re: Question

Original poster: "Terry Blake" <tb3-at-att-dot-net>

Hi Emmett,

If the secondary is wound with #26 magnet wire, it is very similar to a coil
that I built.

http://www.tb3-dot-com/tesla/mediumcoil/coil.html

http://www.tb3-dot-com/tesla/mrun/index.html

12"x3" toroid
13 turn 1/4" copper water tubing primary
0.02 uF Maxwell cap
15KV / 60 mA FranceFormer NST

Initially, I used just 2 pieces of copper pipe for a spark gap, and a rather
crappy primary construction.  But I was able to get things fired up faster
and mke sparks.  Later on I used a 7 pipe static gap.   I used a maxwell
cap, but the MMCs might be easier to get hold of.

If you are on a tight budget, you could make the toroid from aluminum duct
and make the capacitors from glass bottles and saltwater.

You should be able to tune the system with your primary tap point for a
large variation in toroid sizes.  But bigger toroids tend to make bigger
sparks, until they are too large to cause breakout.

You can use the WinTesla program to better understand how the various
factors interact.

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/rscopper/

Terry Blake