Re: first coil

Original poster: "tmoorezz" <tmoorezz-at-adelphia-dot-net>

Hello Dan and Mathew,

     As Dan said you can use 12awg or 14awg wire for the tank gap, well I
wouldn't totally agree with that! sure you can use 12 or 14 awg g wire going
from the nst to the tank gap you could even go as low as 30awg!, but not
from the tank gap to the spark gap and the primary coil! You will have a
fairly high powered coil on ur hands with a 15/60 nst configuration. You do
need heavy duty wire in the tank circuit aka from cap to spark gap to
primary id say atleast 6awg would be good, the tank circuit will experience
hundreds of amps of current depending on your bang size coming from the cap.
on my mini coil running on a 7500vac -at- 60ma (that's 450watts 1/2 of the
power you will be using) I used 12awg wire for the tank circuit, a classic
newbie mistake. On short runs the wires got fairly hot not enough to melt
the plastic shielding but enough to merit concern, also remember when copper
heats up it increases the resistance of the wire so you will lose some
power. You also could use a thin strip of metal, one inch wide would be good
aslong as it wasn't paper thin, you could use Al tape the heavy duty stuff
fold it in half sticky to stick side and that would work fine. If you used 2
10awg wires in parelle you would be golden. If you want some HV wire just
buy some vinyl tubing and put regular wire through it, should be good for up
to 20kv. Oh also 1/4 watt resistors are fine!, one per cap will work.

Hope this Helps!
Nolan Moore

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/nolan/