Re: eddy current with secondary coil

Original poster: Bart Anderson <classi6-at-classictesla-dot-com>

Ed,

Were these measurements taken at resonance? Adding a topload will not
change the low frequency inductance, however, it definitely will change the
inductance at resonance. It has to. The induction is caused by the current
flowing through the secondary. At resonance, the current is not distributed
evenly, but occurs in uneven portions along the length of the secondary.
These circulating currents cause non-uniform induction in portions of the
winding. The induction can be very significant. On my small 19mH secondary,
the inductance at resonance drops to 14.3mH, however, when I add the
topload, the inductance at resonance increases up to 18.3mH. As far as I'm
concerned, that is significant.

The topload definitely affects current distribution and must therefore
affect both inductance and capacitance. Because your measurements assume
otherwise, were there any low frequency measurements used? any? You said
that you and others have taken careful measurements with and without
topload. Will you explain the measurement method used?

Take care,
Bart