Re: SRSG phase control question

Original poster: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 10/5/03 11:50:32 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>Original poster: "Robert Hanford" <pomnept-at-comcast-dot-net>
>
>I would like to know if it is possible to build a phase control circuit
>like John Freau's without the 7 amp 140v variac- I would like to substitute
>my wimpy little 3 amp 130v variac. For my SRSG of course. I am a little
>strapped for cash right now! Oh and it's a 1/3 hp. motor.
>Replies greatly appreciated.
>Rob Hanford

Rob,

You can probably get away with that as long as the variac doesn't get
too hot.  The variac will also need to withstand the extra voltage stresses
that phase controller use presents to the variac winding.  It will help
if the motor is lightly loaded by the rotor.  You can certainly try it,
and you'll see quickly if the variac handles things well.

John