Re: NST power rating con

Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: Harvey Norris <harvich-at-yahoo-dot-com>
 >
 > --- Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> wrote:
 >  > Original poster: "John H. Couture"
 >  > Harvey -
 >  >
 >  > I don't believe this is a verification of the
 >  > maximum power transfer
 >  > principle. The tests indicate that the maximum power
 >  > available from a NST is
 >  > only about one quarter not one half of the nameplate
 >  > rating. Note that one
 >  > half the voltage and one half the current gives one
 >  > fourth the power.
 >
 > Hi John.
 >
 > I was not arguing the point that the transformer
 > should deliver its stated short circuit amperage ALSO
 > AT its stated voltage rating.  To me this sounds
 > nonsensible.  A 24 inch neon placed across my 15,000
 > volt rated NST will only show about 500-600 volts
 > across it, and also at less then the short circuit
 > current rating.

	Too short to give a meaningful reading.  Try something longer and
you'll see the voltage go up.  The voltage drop per foot depends on the
tubing cross section, the pressure, and the nature of the gas fill.  I
can't find my "Neon Signs" by Fink, but in it he gives values for
these.  The maximum length is probably determined by the breakdown
voltage but I'd have to confirm that.

Ed