Re: eddy current with secondary coil

Original poster: Dave Lewis <hvdave-at-earthlink-dot-net>

Antonio,

My simple measurement confirmed what you've been saying.   The metal
plate caused a very small change in impedance when placed right at the
end.  The effect was very small, like 1% or less.

The coil I tested is about 2mH and consists of some uncounted number of
turns of #34 wound on a 3/4" piece of PVC schedule 40 water pipe.  The
wind is about 6 inches long.   Its a small coil as coils go for sure.

I measured the impedance of just the coil, connecting the analyzer to
the wire lead at each end both with and without a metal plate slapped up
against the end.  I tried a thin sheet of copper (5mil) and a thicker
piece of aluminum (60mil).  Both made about the same *very* small
decrease in the impedance up to about 1MHz.  Beyond that you could tell
much since there was a resonance at 1.4MHz.

I left the plots at work so I'll have to report the hard data later.

Anyways, this result was counter intuitive and very enlightening.   I
was expecting a bigger change, especially at the higher frequencies.

Thanks
Dave Lewis