Re: variac rebuilding

Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

I've found that #600 wet or dry carborundum paper words very well at
cleaning up variac contact surfaces, as does Scotchbrite or even steel
wool (if you're careful to leave nothing behind).  Even a pencil eraser
works at times.  Unless the windings have been fried there is absolutely
no reason to consider a rewind!  I've managed to replace a few turns
that were burned due to brush arcing but beyond that I think is foolish.

Ed