RE: Odd coil behavior

Hi,

In the good old days, coils had no coating, just cotton covered wire
;-))  Then they were coated with varnishes or wax mostly since the cotton
insulated like air against high voltage.  As the newer enamels came along,
enameled wire was again pretty good but it was fragile.  So poly and
glyptol coating came in again.

Most of us are not going to run at turn to turn voltage levels that will
breakdown modern wire coatings*.  It could be argued that high power coils
that get run a lot (like Jeff Parisse's and D.C. Cox's big pro coils) need
added insulation due to their very hard use and need for extreme
reliability (let alone all weather proof!!).  There is no ionization since
all those air gaps do not glow blue :o))  If a coil has 1200 turns and has
a peak voltage of 400kV, the turn to turn voltage is only ~~333 volts
neglecting somewhat non-linear voltage rise.

Personally, my coils are not terribly voltage stressed turn to turn and I
hate the mess, smell, and drying time of multi poly coats.  So I tried the
stretch wrap and really like it.  It protects the coil very well and I have
repaired some very bad damage caused by CW primary to secondary arcs (that
would have destroyed a coated coil) very easily by just replacing the
stretch wrap.  So stretch wrap may not be for everyone, but it is all "I"
use now.

One should wind the wire very tight so it stays in place as the form
expands and contracts some with temperature and humidity.  Or maybe just
coat it with a light spray of poly from a can to grab the wire before the
poly wrap.

So everyone will have to decide for them selves how they want to coat their
coil (or even "if" at all...).  I just point out that stretch wrap provides
excellent protection and is so super fast, cheap, and simple that you will
have a hard time doing it any other way once you try it ;-))  Remember,
that when I tried it, it had never been done before and nobody knew if it
would work at all.  But is a very good way for many people to protect their
coils from the trunk of the car and such and it is the most repairable of
any methods.  Maybe it should be regarded as new and experimental, but the
first experiments went very well!!  My big coil has its windings scraped
bare every inch for experimentation and it still has no problem...

*I just wound two #24 wires together in about a 1 foot length at 2 twists
per inch and stuck them on the small DC Bertan power supply...  Just plain
Jane enameled motor wire as opposed to the fancy heavy build super poly
space age stuff...  So what is the breakdown voltage?  300V, 500V,...1000V!!!

Hahaha!  Here it is easily holding off 10kV :-))

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/Pa090030.jpg

I would have to hook up the big 50kV Bertan to really find out!!

Of course, this is DC.  AC should be worse.

Cheers,

         Terry