Re: Awesome Quarter Shrinking Capacitors on EBAY

Original poster: John <fireba8104-at-yahoo-dot-com>

It could be, I really don't know the dielectric. The only thing it must
conform to is the 4000vac rating otherwise. I'm clueless as far as that
issue goes. I'll be able to measure it in a week or two.
Cheers,
John
P.S why is the U.S. still using the customary system

Original poster: Ed Phillips

"Original poster: Mark Broker

John, an "m" or an "M" always refers to micro. The standard units for
capacitors are Farad, microfarad, and picofarad. Nano and especially
milli
are rarely, if ever, used. I always wondered why cap manufacturers
couldn't use "u" for micro - it looks close enough to Greek "mu" and is
certainly much less ambiguous than "M".

I think most of us have stories of EEs showing their ignorance in front
of
the AAS techs.... And I have no problems admitting that I've been on
both
ends more than once. ;)

Cheers,

Mark Broker
Chief Engineer, The Geek Group"

Unfortunately the SI unit nuts are taking over the world (at least that
of technical magazine editors) and in that system no number is allowed
to be less tha! n 1 or over 1000!!! As a result, nano and milli are
coming into use in printed literature at least. It's the "in" thing to
do just like some rules of etiquette or placement of silverware at the
dinner table; no practical value but separates those who "know" from
those ignorant fools who don't!

By the way, a 38 millifarad LV tantalum capacitors sounds much more
reasonable than a 4 millifard 4 kV oil-filled capacitor!

Ed