Re: Help

Original poster: Bart Anderson <classi6-at-classictesla-dot-com>

Hi Emmett,

Here is my preferred method. Ty-wraps. I've used them on all my primary's
and it's always worked out fine for me. Here's picture of a primary on
runners. I showed this quite a while back regarding a clamp method I use,
but will also work here. Also, I don't always use wood nor do I always use
runners. Sometimes I'll use a plastic spacer as a standoff.

http://www.classictesla-dot-com/temp/clamp.jpg

Note, all I do is mark the holes for drilling down through runner or board.
Because the coil grows as it spans around the coil, the first inner hole
should be marked accordingly to allow a smooth transition, then the
remaining holes can be marked at set distances (whatever distance you want
between turns). After marking, just drill 1/4" holes strait down through
runner or board.

Next, begin winding copper tubing. I start with the inner turn. Lay out the
pre-coiled tubing. I simply insert a ty-wrap from the bottom, up through
the hole. I maneuver the ty-wrap up and around the tubing, then back down
the same hole and zip it tight. On to the next hole, etc.. etc.. Although
this picture doesn't show it, these days I like to insert a small plastic
spacer before I go up and around the tube with the ty-wrap.

I'm not sure why I like this, but I do. If I ever need to straiten out an
area I may have dented, or damaged in some way, all I have to do is snip of
the ty-wrap in the area to do the work and put a new one on after the work
is done.

I should also note that I've been polishing the tubing about once a year. I
use Brasso on the tubing and it retains a brilliant shine for quite a
while. The picture above shows the dingy look copper tube primary's will
develop after a short period of time. This same primary looks brand new
these days. Usually as I polish up a primary, I'll replace ty-wraps one at
a time. Again, I don't do this often, but once a year is about right to
keep it looking "pretty". I haven't noticed any corrosive effects from
using the Brasso polish.

Take care,
Bart