RE: Help - Primary Supports

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

HDPE, UHMW Polyethylene, PVC, and even wood (dry) works well for primary
supports.  Some will say you need to use
this plastic or to never use wood, but some of the largest coils i've
seen use wood supports on the primary.

UHMW Polyethylene is very inexpensive and available at www.mcmaster-dot-com.
It won't machine to well (tapping and threading screws etc...), but
drilling simple holes for primary supports works well, and you can drill
clearance holes and counterbore them to put screws to attach the
supports to a wood base.

I actually use this material for my coils and actually have a smaller
piece of UHMW PE for a cover on the supports.
See my picture of my 4" coil below showing the primary supports.

http://www.spacecatlighting-dot-com/images/ctc1_primary02.jpg

The Captain