Re: Maxwell capacitor question

Original poster: Finn Hammer <f-h-at-c.dk>

Tesla list wrote:
>Original poster: "Phil Heslin" <pheslin-at-cox-dot-net>
>Hi David,

snip
>    I have often wondered if it would worth it to build a rectifier to avoid
>the voltage reversals and extend the life of the cap(s).

The voltage reversal during charging, which is a 50/60Hz thing probably
don`t stress the cap too much.
It is the voltage reversal during the ringdown that is the killer. Since
this happens both with AC as well as DC feed, a rectified charging system
will not make much of a difference in this respect.
There are other virtues to a DC sharging system, stepless variable BPS
being the most prominent, although I think you need 3-phase to acheive the
greatest benefit of it: the lack of need for smoothing caps.

Cheers, Finn Hammer

snip