Re: Poking wires into secondary

Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

"Hi Ed,

Seems like the real factor with this issue is not necessarily the power
levels but the winding height relative to the power level.  Lower aspect
coils will have a greater problem than higher ones (everything else the
same).  I would also think the coil form material would play some part
in
this in conjuction with the humidity and other environmental factors.

Using a nylon screw to terminate certainly helps.

Question:  Is it easier for an arc to travel down the inside of the form
than the outside (everything else being the same)?

Gerry R"

	My coils have an aspect ratio of about 5.  The coil forms are typically
well shellacked (sp?) cardboard mailing tubes, thinned by pulling the
inner layers of paper out.  Crummy but cheap and easy to make.  When
they are carbonized it's possible to scrape all of the mess out and
still use them.  The one coil I built on a PVC form (actually the second
one I built in modern times) was the first one where I experienced
arcing and I never could resurrect it.  As for the question of the
inside vs outside arcing, I suspect it's just the law of random
perversity - arcing inside is harder to repair and therefor nature
prefers it!

	I've never installed baffles (coils are small and streamers limited to
about 30 inches) but it sure seems like a good idea and sure can't hurt.

Ed