Hysteresis Synchronous Motor oddity

Original poster: "Robert Hanford" <pomnept-at-comcast-dot-net>

I was at a local surplus store today and was checking out the motors when I
saw that a new stock of hysteresis synchronous motors was on the shelf.
Having developed a "hoarding" instinct over the past two years (as a result
of Tesla Coiling, I think) I began to feel an urge to acquire one seeing as
they were a good price- even though I already have a perfectly
good  Eastern Air Devices motor already!!!
Now these guys looked a good bit heftier than my 1/25 hp. motor but I was
puzzled to see that their faceplate rating was only 1/40 hp.! They are by
Motronics and 15$ which seems a very fair price. They appear to be new in
unopened packages. If anyone has any thoughts on the size/horsepower
discrepancy I sure would like to hear them. I can hear the motors
calling... by the way the hoarding scavenging urge makes me feel like one
of those animals attracted to bright shiny things ... brass, copper,
stainless steel! Knurled knobs, copper tubing, aluminum ducting! Hey I even
want to hoard poly. cutting boards, plexiglass. I'll end this post and wipe
the drool off.
Happy coiling,
Robert Hanford