RE: Grounding Question

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <gary.lau-at-hp-dot-com>

Yes, this is a confusing topic.  Basically, you want everything downstream
from the variac tied to RF ground.  This includes the NST case, safety
gaps, RC filter ground, strike rail, and secondary base.  The variac case
(anything that one might touch)  should be tied to mains ground, for safety.

When the NST case is tied to RF ground, it's a good idea to use an EMI
filter between the mains and the NST primary, but the Line/Load connections
and choice of ground connections here is even more confusing.  Please see
what I've written on this topic on my web site at
http://www.laushaus-dot-com/tesla/emifilter.htm

The strike rail must NOT form a continuous loop; there must be a small gap
between the two ends.  Otherwise this will act as a shorted turn on a
transformer and cause much power to be wasted.

Gary Lau
MA, USA

Original poster: "EMMETT SECREST" <secrest2032-at-msn-dot-com>

Hello All,
I am confused on the proper grounding for my first TC.  If someone would be
so kind as to clear it up for me I would appreciate the help. I know the
secondary RF ground should be a separate ground. Where I am confused is the
ground for the safety gap on the Terry Filter.
1.Does the Safety gap ground tie in with the secondary RF ground?

2.Also I have a ground to the NST from the 120VAC supply. Should this
ground also attach to the Safety Gap ground or should the supply ground
stop at the NST housing.

I apoligize for asking what is I'm sure a very basic question of such a
learned group of people. But if you don't ask you don't learn.

I considered not even running a ground to the NST from the supply AC and
attaching the NSTchassis, RF,strike rail and Safety Gap grounds all
together. MY thinking was that that would protect everything in case of a
primary strike from the secondary.

3. Does it matter if the strike rail is a continuos piece of copper tubing?
I spliced the ends together to add better support to the copper tubing.

Thanks in advance to all who reply

Emmett Secrest