Re: small tesla-- coil ignition coil powered

Original poster: Gregory Hunter <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

You can run a car ignition coil directly from the
mains. It will charge a 2.2nF cap (like the Bonsai
coil) without any problem. See the power supply
section of my wen site.

Cheers,

Coil"(<http://home.wtal.de/herbs_teslapage/model3.html>http://home.wtal.de/herbs_teslapage/model3.html),

 > which i hope will give around 15 cm streamers (has a
 > 2.2 nf cap).
 >   Unfortunatley im on a pretty tight budget, and i
 > dont have a NST, or
 > convenient acess to find one (rural Australia) but i
 > do have 2 car ignition
 > coils, and have seen a number of sights about that
 > saycoils can be used for
 > small TC use
 >

 > 1. can 2 car ignition coils give this sort of
 > thoughroughput to drive a
 > coil with the above output?
 >
 > 2.  does anyone have a circuit that they can email
 > me

(<mailto:tullera-at-optusnet-dot-com.au>tullera-at-optusnet-dot-com.au)
 > that will drive
 > the coils suitably. ive seen a number of drivers but
 > all of the decent
 > higher powered ones seem to run in the low Khz, so
 > would any modifications
 > to the coil design need to be made to account forthe
 > much higher than
 > normal "line frequency" and the squre-wave output?
 >
 > 3. what is the best  secondary coil form?, PVC? is
 > Cardboard Ok?
 > 4. what about primary coil form, Does it really
 > matter, or will i get RF
 > losses with the wrong stuff?
 > 5. does anyone have any ideas on how to measure
 > output currents at High
 > voltage. eg of NST's ignition coil setups etc?
 >
 > thanks in andvance for any posts...........and if
 > anyone has any advise or
 > wants to help me design my coil and be bombarded
 > with my questions.. email me!
 >
 >              Ruben

=====
Gregory R. Hunter