Re: nobody knows whos maggie at fla teslathon?

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "colin.heath4" <colin.heath4-at-ntlworld-dot-com>
 >
 > please excuse my ignorance! i have done a lot of reading of magnifiers but
 > have heard nothing of a 6th order magnifier.
 > what is this?

A conventional Tesla transformer has a primary capacitor and inductor,
and a secondary inductor and (distributed) capacitor. Four reactive
elements, and so a 4th-order system.
A magnifier adds to this a third coil and its distributed capacitance
(L3, C3), and keeps the capacitance associated with the secondary coil
(C2). It has then 6 independent reactive elements, and so is a
6th-order system.

It's common to ignore the secondary capacitance in a magnifier, and
so the currents at the secondary and third coils are identical
(remember that this is a lumped model). Without that capacitor and
with L2 and L3 with the same current, it's just a 4th-order system,
essentially identical to a conventional Tesla transformer.

Studies about the use of magnifier structures in pulsed power
applications lead to the conclusion that the C2 capacitance can't
be safely ignored, specially in a very tightly coupled transformer.
The energy that remains there is never transferred to the output.
A procedure was then developed to the design of the 6th-order
magnifier, that doesn't leave any energy in L1, C1, L2, C2, and L3
when the energy transfer from C1 to C3 is complete.

More details about the design procedure can be found at:
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/tesla/magnifier.html

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz