Re: Streamer lengths

Original poster: Bart Anderson <classi6-at-classictesla-dot-com>

Hi Gerry,

The controlled spark is a 1 spark event and streamer growth is not involved
in this number. I just wanted to clarify that.

When I think of random spark lengths (continuous running), I consider the
sparklength whatever my eyes see, regardless of color. I friend down the
road came over last weekend to see the coil run (in garage). I run at low
power in the garage and simply turn the juice until it begins hitting the
garage door about 5 feet away from the toroid edge. Right after I shut
down, this friend said, "wow, those were about 5 feet long, can they go
longer". I said " oh yes, but not in the garage".

The point is, the friend realized the average sparklength right away. He
saw five feet, I saw five feet. If you can see it, it's there (blue,
purple, green, white, etc..). Of course, there is a corona around the spark
channel, but not in any great length from the end of the channel. I suspect
it's just lower power at the end, colder, and blue/purple in color near the
thining end.

Take care,
Bart